Saturday, July 5, 2014

Hoppin' Blog & Thangs

Holy Smokin' Balls of Fire!

My good friend and brother of the heart, Aaron Speca, totes tagged me to be part of this crazy blog hop. Now, I'm one of those odd ducks who likes to plan things out, rarely do I jump on board with anything remotely approaching spontaneous but Aaron made me an offer I couldn't refuse…oh wait.  Wrong
context…*winks*

So, a little intro in the wacky gray matter for those who don't know me; my street cred and koala-fications are as follows:

I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified?

*long pause, cheeky grin* Forgive the zany, I'm coasting on 3 hours of sleep and only one cup of coffee at this point so all bets are off. So…ever onward, let's turn up juice and see what shakes loose. My Beetlejuice references doing anything for you? Anything at all?

This blog hop focuses on "The Writing Process" so settle in and join me as I take you through the minefield of my 'magination. No refunds, no returns  and thank the Gods there are questions to answer or I'd be wandering around with no limits and that can get messy!

What am I working on? 
Currently, I'm working on "Timeless Seduction", which is the 3rd book in my New Camelot Series and focuses on a much maligned figure in Arthurian folklore, Mordred Lothian. Now, I'm not saying he's a shining hero or even a loose interpretation of a sexy anti-hero. Mordred doesn't fit into any nicely carved niche and there is no way to label him. Mostly, I think he's a jerk. But I'm starting to realize why and can't wait to share his story with the world.

I'm also dabbling with my tales based on the youngest Greek Fate, Clotho. Another mythological character who never seems to get positive PR. But that's what I'm here for! Clotho (or Cloie, or Lady Fate, or Bit…she has a lot of nicknames. Most are not repeatable.) has become both dear and special to me for various reasons and seeing as I am one of those peeps who truly believes in Fate and Destiny, I like to think she chose ME to tell her tale. It's also fun as I'm working with a writing partner on it whom I wholly respect, love and admire. We are slowly fleshing out the backstory as well as the contemporary and I can't wait to really sit down and give it my full focus.

How does my work differ from others in my genre?  My "thing" is taking old ideas and putting unusual spins on them. For example, my New Camelot series takes on the premise that there is no such things as 'vampires', per se. Fairy blood, when drank by a human being, produces odd side effects, fangs and an aversion to sunlight are just two. It centers more on the elemental magic of nature. And I'm really proud that I've taken a bold step in making such things like Excalibur exist…but not quite in the way we've read before. I also love writing about completely unconventional women who aren't afraid to be themselves in a world that is constantly urging them to fit in.

Why do I write what I do?  In all honesty, I had grand plans to be the next Anne Rice. I was a vampire only girl with blinders on; I wanted to create vamps of exquisite pain and longing and yada, yada, yada. Got sidetracked though when I took a walk in a forest and found a sword sticking out a rock. Now, I can't imagine writing anything else.

How does my writing process work? There is no rhyme or reason to my methods, but a great deal of madness infuses it. I can't simply sit down and write in orderly fashion. I begin with visuals; trolling the internet until I find a model, singer, celebrity who most closely resembles my vision of characters. Then I create a playlist for inspirational music to aid me. Then the research begins and I also begin to loosely outline the backstory. I write chapters entirely out of order; I'm a slave to the muse and the loudest "voice" wins my attention. It may seem chaotic, but its all I know. If I try to sit down and create a precise gameplan, I drive myself bonkers and get annoyed. Half the time, I have no idea of where the plot is going or my characters reactions. It's a bit of organized chaos that is tempered lightly by my desire to never be predictable. After all, originality does not consist in saying what no one has ever said before, but in saying exactly what you think yourself. To give your creations new life, new breath…infuse your writing with YOUR truth. No matter what it is.


Tag, you’re it!

Perci Brooks: The Percinator just signed with Sybaritic Press and her debut novel, My Beloved Demon, should be out by fall. Perci is someone whose drive and passion inspire me daily. She writes in a most elusive field that borders on BDSM, Paranormal, and Manga-esque. It's a huge challenge I'm not sure I could rise to as its way off mainstream and she takes a lot free spirited risks, refusing to "neuter" her charries or ideas. I love rebels!


Krista Kelly: I have had the pleasure of writing with Krista under the guise of Role Play. She is wonderful person with a grip of talent and her debut novel, The Grey Curse, was accepted by Breathless Press (my publisher, too!) and drops this August. I am so proud of her for taking the risk and being brave enough to submit her work. She is more than just an online friend or fellow authoress, she is someone who I look up to and whom I am proud to call friend.


1 comment:

  1. I love this - I had no idea you were stuck on vampires at first. At least you don't do the sparking thing :D

    ReplyDelete